We all want to be liked, loved and appreciated. But when we start to sacrifice who we are in the process, this is when it is time to examine what really matters. Below you will find some ways to be more mindful of your authenticity within your daily life.
- Replace your Filter — Although I think we all need a little bit of a filter (to ensure that we are not complete assholes), allow yourself to say more of what you think, feel, and believe. It is still important to be tolerant and respectful of others that may not have the same beliefs.
- Write your own definitions — Rather than allowing society to tell you what it means to be a great spouse, parent, employee, etc., create and honor your own personal definition of what these relationships should look like for you.
- Meditate — When we let go of all the crap that occupies our thoughts each day, we start to become really comfortable with who we really are.
- Say No — You probably say “yes” to lots of things that you really don’t want to do. Start saying “no” more often, and make more time for yourself.
- Tell the truth — Easier said than done! You are a nice person that doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. I’d bet you are also a person that values transparency. Find a way to tell the truth from a place of kindness and compassion.
- Quit the Job You Hate — While I would not recommend quitting your current job before you find the next job, start crafting your escape plan as soon as possible.
- Redecorate — No need to do an “Extreme Home Makeover.” Find small ways to make the space you live feel more like you.
- Go on Adventures — Break the monotonous cycle of daily life, and find some time to mix it up! You will find some pieces of yourself that you haven’t seen in a while.
- Stop Holding It In — We’ve all been there. There comes a time when you hold in your thoughts and emotions for so long that when it all comes out, it’s not pretty.
- Lose the Ego — This isn’t just for the dudes in lifted trucks that take shirtless bathroom selfies. It’s about taking off the “mask” that you wear, and allowing people to experience who you really are.
- Ask for What You Want — Stop beating around the bush. Clearly and confidently ask for what you want. You deserve it.
- Learn to Take a Compliment — Your ego is also the place where self-limiting beliefs are created. Practice accepting compliments from others. This will make them feel great as well.
- Play Your Theme Song — Find a song that really feels like who you truly are, and play it when you need a reminder.
- Stop Caring About What Other People Think — Trying to make everyone like you is totally pointless. Start liking yourself, and the people that matter will like you back.
- Take More Risks — Whether it is with your fashion choices or career — trust your gut!
Ashley Bradley is an intuitive business coach dedicated to the creation of abundance through self-expression and following your higher purpose. Prior to becoming a coach and business owner, she consulted high-growth businesses on their recruiting and talent acquisition strategy, and managed multi-million dollar restaurants./em>